- Spending long hours in the sun
- Residing in a hot, dry climate
- Frequent swimming in salty or chlorinated water
- Frequent washing of the hair
- Frequent use of electric straighteners or curling irons
- Dying and chemical treatment of hair
- Using toxic hair styling products like shampoos and conditioners
- Menopause, Autoimmune Disease, other hormone disrupting illnesses.
- Hypothyroidism: Dry and brittle hair is one of the first symptoms noticed when a person suffers from this condition. It is a health condition in which your thyroid glands are not producing enough thyroid hormones.
- Menkes syndrome is a genetic condition that prevents your cells from absorbing enough copper. Your hair's health can be grossly affected by low absorption of copper, which then causes hair dryness.
- An eating disorder that can lead to malnutrition, which can lead to even more health complications
P.S. You should also use a silk or satin pillowcase as this also reduces breakage and aging of your hair and skin.
Here's our recommendations on the best hair products for dry or brittle hair
shampoos & Conditioners
The perfect anti-aging hair care line for maturing hair. Rich in antioxidants, it's benefits include promoting a healthy scalp, shine and softening. If you are over 40 and experiencing dryness or brittle hair, this may be due to lack of oils, minerals and vitamins needed for softness and elasticity. I highly recommend adding the Renewing line to your hair care regimen.
Hair Masks + Treatments
Sign up for our newsletter below to get hair care and clean beauty information right to your inbox.